Sunday, July 31, 2011

Commentary: An Open Dear John Letter to AT&T

I got a letter from AT&T today.  It read: "Dear Omari, You recently disconnected the qualified number above and we at AT&T want you back.  Here are some compelling reasons that we've designed to make it as easy as possible: [blah blah blah]"

So here is my response, an open letter to AT&T:

Dear AT&T,

As you may have noticed, I've left you for Sprint. My service has been cancelled, and my iPhone is up for sale on eBay. I've left you my early termination fee and some rollover minutes in the fridge.

Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of good times. We spent 10 mostly-wonderful years together. You were my first mobile provider, back when you were called Cingular. And you introduced me to smartphones by providing me with the iPhone. I thought we would last forever, or for at least a few more contracts.

But I've moved on. I'm an Android man now. And while my phone has issues and I may return to the iPhone someday, I think I am done with you for good, AT&T. You just haven't catered to my needs. Sure, you have fast 3G, but that's about it. Your coverage is terrible in LA and worse elsewhere; your prices aren't very low; your "4G" is just embarrassingly slow, especially uploads. Your Android phone selection is poor and your Android phones are bloated and locked down. You wouldn't even allow non-Market apps until a few months ago! And your ridiculous anti-tethering policy is not Net Neutral. I lived in a constant state of fear, worried that I might get charged for a tethering plan when I used my jailbroken iPhone as a wifi hotspot. It was my shameful secret. I had to tell my friends that my phone fell down some stairs and couldn't tether anymore.

And then I heard that you want to merge with T-Mobile and ruin a perfectly good mobile carrier. I remember the moment I read the news—I spent all day crying. Why would my mobile carrier want to create an carrier oligopoly and a GSM monopoly? It was all too much to bear.

Sprint knows how to make a man feel good. I've got real 4G now and a powerful Android phone that'll be rooted soon. I've got unlimited texting. And unlimited data (with no throttling!). I even have mobile to mobile to any mobile, not just to Sprint phones. But most importantly, I can make a phone call from wherever I want. In the parking lot at work, in the Samurai Sam's near Bristol Farms… Sprint and I have done it everywhere that you refused to go.

I wish you luck in your endeavors, though I hope that merger dies in a fire.


Omari

No comments:

Post a Comment