Friday, August 3, 2012

First Impressions: Galaxy Nexus


Tired of my HTC EVO 3D, I made a huge list of pros and cons of getting new phones on each of the networks (except AT&T). Long story short, I decided to get the unlocked GSM Samsung Galaxy Nexus through Google's Play Store and use it on T-Mobile. I'd talked to a lot of people and the awesomeness of a new Samsung Galaxy S III couldn't match the awesomeness of getting guaranteed OS updates first from Google before everyone else. This seemed to make sense to me after my EVO 3D's official Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) port was delayed over and over again, from its original "early 2012" release date to June to early August. Also important was that that a brand new GSM Galaxy Nexus was super cheap, compared to other similarly-spec'ed smartphones.

Since I'm avoiding AT&T because of their crap reception and anti-tethering policies, the only option was T-Mobile. This was perfect because I'd read that T-Mobile, unlike every other national carrier, had no-contract plans that were cheaper than the contract plans. The reason: contract plans come with that ~$400 phone discount so customers can get ~$200 phones. But I was bringing my own phone. I bought the phone and got T-Mobile service the day after the phone arrived.

Initially, this experience was met with disappointment. While the Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) update came to my phone soon after I turned it on, it is a pretty insignificant upgrade. While the phone does seem very zippy and I don't notice any lag, I barely used it while the phone was still on Ice Cream Sandwich, so it's hard to say definitively if Ice Cream Sandwich was any slower than Jelly Bean. Google Now, which seemed to be billed as Google's answer to Siri and S-Voice, seems to be little other than an app to display commute time and the weather.

There were more issues: I was once told that rooting a Nexus was simple: you just check a box. This appealed to me. As technical as I am, I would prefer a phone that didn't require jailbreaking or hacking to get it to do what I want. Jailbreaking my iPhones and rooting my EVO 3D were tedious, scary processes that could've easily resulted in me turning my phone into a brick. I looked forward to a simple rooting process that was sanctioned by my phone. But I was misled. Rooting even a GSM Nexus is a process filled with many steps and involving a PC.

Then, while I have complained about the manufacturers' skinning of Ice Cream Sandwich, it seems that stock ICS/Jelly Bean is still a little barebones. Google's apps just aren't there yet. I miss Swype and the EVO's trace keyboard, which I didn't realize weren't available on stock Android. I hate that Google's contacts app (People) doesn't let you filter out your Google+ contacts and other people without phone numbers. I cannot believe that you are stuck with 5 pages on the home screen; no more no less. I will probably end up using some sort of 3rd party launcher, if I don't use a different ROM entirely.

The T-Mobile experience is also somewhat lacking. I found out in the store that my no-contract plan is actually more expensive than the contract plan. I wanted 500 minutes, unlimited text and 2 to 5 GB of fast 4G data. Both the 2 GB and 5 GB plans are cheaper on contract. I had been looking at the Value plans at T-Mobile, which require a 2-year contract. Instead, I needed a Prepaid/Monthly plan, which has a different website and a different set of rules. I've always been scared of prepaid carriers, but the sales rep assured me that I'd be using T-Mobile towers and would have the same reception, although she mentioned that 4G wasn't as good.  I soon would find out that prepaid and monthly customers can't use T-Mobile's visual voicemail app.

Lastly, T-Mobile's 4G claims are a little off.  They have many posters in the store and online that claim "42 MBPS SPEEDS ON T-MOBILE."  I now realize they write these claims in all caps so people will think they mean "42 MBps" or megabytes per second, instead of "42 Mbps" or megabits per second.  42 MBps is 8 times faster than 42 Mbps.  That didn't matter much, because 42 Mbps is still pretty fast and is over 4 times faster than my home internet connection.  But my max speed on T-Mobile's HSPA+ is 7.22 Mbps.  Definitely better than my Sprint WiMAX max of around 5 Mbps, but hardly 42 Mbps.

However, everything else about the phone is awesome. It's super fast, the SAMOLED screen has a beautiful contrast and is brighter in direct sunlight, the gorgeous HD display looks like a Retina Display to me, the back camera is better and super fast, using MTP to transfer files instead of mounting as an SD card seems to be better in most ways, and the battery is better than the EVO 3D.  Even without 4G turned on, my EVO 3D consumes battery life quicker than the Nexus does with 4G turned on.  So, better battery life and 4G speeds to boot.  I also like the build of the phone.  I was a little uneasy about the rapidly increasing sizes of phones these days, but the Galaxy Nexus feels and looks awesome in my hand.  Even the monthly plan is technically cheaper, as long as I leave T-Mobile in less than 12 months, because of the lack of an early termination fee.  I miss visual voicemail, a feature I've enjoyed since my first iPhone in 2009, but supposedly Google Voice will allow me to get visual voicemail again.

Is the Galaxy Nexus better than the Galaxy S III?  Probably not.  Is T-Mobile better than Verizon? The 4G is definitely slower, but the 4G is less battery-consuming and the plans are definitely cheaper. Will this do until I can get a new phone in a year or less? Definitely.

3 comments:

  1. Some of the things I've done to my Galaxy S3 in the short time that I've owned it:

    1. Root. This was pretty easy. It was basically just me plugging my phone to my laptop, opening a Samsung software load app (Odin) and loading a .tar file. Reboot. Done. The rooting and rom loading process is a little less scary on samsung phones as well, because of the built-in “download” mode. Just hold down the volume-down button and the home button when the phone starts up, and it goes into a recovery mode that allows you to load any image through Odin. It makes it a little harder to brick the phone.

    2. Clockwork Recovery (CWM). This is another recovery/ROM loading tool. When you boot the phone, you can hold down volume-up and home, and you get a secret menu where you can make backups (Nandroid) and flash .zip files. This also gives you advanced options like clearing cache, dalvik cache, factory reset, file system partition management, etc. I've used this on my captivate for the last 2 years and it's worked amazingly well. It's helped to feed my monthly new ROM habit. I installed it by copying a zip file to the sdcard, and using a terminal emulator on the phone to execute a command line statement to mount the zip file and that was it.

    3. I then did a Nandroid backup so that I have a stable restore point, just in case.

    4. Tether emancipator and some bug fixes. Loaded as a .zip through CWM

    5. Apex Launcher – Best launcher I've ever used, imo. Awesome customization features. Can scale icons, change the number of icon rows and columns on the home screens, select number of home screens, multiple scrolling dock icons, etc. Gesture controls, like swiping up on the home page to activate the multitasking menu.

    6. AdAway – no more ads, in any app, ever. It's basically a managed .hosts file which forwards the known ad domains to localhost.

    7. Rom Toolbox – Awesome app to manage advanced system settings. Change the effective desktop resolution via lcd density setting, overclock, manage themes, boot animations, root file exploerer, etc. So much I haven't tried yet with this app.

    8. Google voice – Actually disabled the ATT visual voicemail app to use this. I set the phone up to forward to my Gvoice number automatically for voicemail. You get visual voicemail, free texting (if you don't have a txting plan like me) voicemail text transcription, missed call listing and more. And you can access this on the web, in the cloud, from a web browser. This is especially cool if you are away from your phone for long periods of time (ie. at an oppressive workplace) and you want to check your messages from the web. Been using this app with much success for a few years, since ditching my iPhone.

    So far, I'm loving the S3. Super fast, great screen, great camera, and perfect size for me. And the GPS actually works, unlike my captivate. Although S-voice was kinda a dud. It's just as bad as Siri, which is not suprising since they both have the Wolfram-alpha backend. Fortunately, I discovered the power of Google voice search, which is better than both S-Voice and Siri. It just doesn't talk back to you if you have Ice Cream Sandwich. Actually, I just used it tonight. I asked “What is the status of Virgin Airlines flight 415?” and it loaded up a web page with the scheduled and actual arrival times. Perfect.

    My ATT experience has been pretty good too. Network is fast, LTE is awesome, and even HSPA+ is speedy. I'm grandfathered in to my unlimited data, 450 anytime minutes, unlimited nights/weekends, with thousands of rollover minutes in the bank for the same old price I paid 6 years ago - $65/month. I've even noticed that I have better reception that the GFs Verizon Galaxy S3 in a lot of situations. And so far, ATT isn't putting me through the shenanigans that Verizon is doing to their customers (knock on wood).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention - I actually like some of the features Samsung has added through touchwiz. The motion sensing feature are cool, like taping on the top of the phone to scroll a page to the top. This was cool to reduce repetitive stress injuries from too much flicking.

    There's also a screen capture feature, where you put the edge of you palm on the right side of the phone and swipe to the left. Pretty handy.

    I haven't used smart stay, but it seemed like a pretty innovative idea. It uses the front facing camera and face detection to sense if you're looking at the phone and prevent it from automatically locking the screen while you're looking at it.

    S-Beam (Samsung's version of Android beam) which initiates a wifi-direct session that allows you to transfer media and other file types to over Galaxy S3s. I've used this a couple of times and it worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the S III is indeed awesome. I need a new blog post just to address these comments!

    1. Rooting ended up not being too bad on the Nexus. It seems that manufacturers are realizing that techies enjoy tinkering with the phones and are getting more relaxed about the rooting process. Carriers pretty much only care about tethering, which shouldn't be a big deal since no one except Sprint has unlimited data anymore. That's cool that Samsung has a software-loading app.

    2. I know all about CWM, but was impressed to see that the newest version has a touch interface. I'm backing up the phone now, as I type this in the airport. My main problem with switching ROMs regularly, however, is getting all my apps and data back. I finally bought Titanium Backup Pro, and while I couldn't use it to port my apps+data from my EVO (because I had trouble locating the Titanium Backup folder on my Nexus, I think), hopefully the batch mode will come in handy if and when I change ROMs. Ideally, I won't change ROMs, only launchers, which is enough work as is.

    4. Don't know what you mean by "tether emancipator." A google search returns no results.

    5. I'll look at this. I've looked at Go Launcher and Launcher Pro, which are both nice, but take awhile to set up to my liking. I've resisted changing the launcher so far because the stock launcher is tolerable.

    7. I downloaded ROM Toolbox, then ditched it. The main thing I think I'd use it for is turning up the resolution. It seemed to have the wrong resolution in the settings and I believe you mentioned something similar to me offline about not knowing how you would get your standard resolution back. Instead, I'll probably just use a launcher to add more icons to my home screen, if I need.

    8. Doesn't work for T-Mobile prepaid/monthly. In order to use Google Voice for voicemail without using the GVoice #, I have to use call forwarding, which T-Mobile's monthly contract doesn't support. So it looks like I'm stuck without visual voicemail until I change carriers or plans.

    9. I think you are underestimating Siri. I still think Siri is the best voice assistant in the business. So far she has handled most things I've thrown at her, within reason. Google Now is close, but I feel like most things I ask will result in a simple Google search. Maybe I haven't tested them both objectively.

    10. I hate AT&T and am resisting going back to them with this phone, even though I wouldn't have to break contract and it would allow me to get visual voicemail. I get reception almost everywhere on T-Mobile.

    11. Verizon has only recently started to be jerks to their customers. I don't think they'll keep it up when the other 3 carriers all have (cheaper) LTE. But I'm pleased my Galaxy Nexus's is lighter than my coworker's Verizon GNex.

    12. I was disappointed that I couldn't Android Beam you a picture. Perhaps in the next iteration it will catch up to S-Beam.

    13. I need to see more of these SGS III features in person to properly evaluate them. Please FedEx me your phone. :)

    14. Nandroid backup done!

    ReplyDelete